By Brianne Barkley
Based off of the Daily Post’s Daily Prompt: But No Cigar
So close I can taste it. That’s what they say, right?
So close I can smell it, more like.
I raise my nose to the air and take a hearty whiff. The light floral smell of soap; the ripe odor of a not-so-fresh diaper; the soapy scent of clean dishes; and, there it is, the drool-inducing, delectable aroma of sausage.
Oh, I can barely handle it.
Spicy, meaty, tongue-tickling treasure!
I watch greedily as he swings it around in a clenched fist. The last piece.
I tread another inch closer: cue the doe eyes.
He brings it to his mouth and my stomach lurches. No, I think, and a pitiable moan escapes from me.
He looks at me – doe eyes, doe eyes – and he tosses it.
Oh, sweet tantalizing triumph!
I go to snatch it up, but… wait! A hand flies down from the sky and steals it.
No, I scream.
“Please, honey, don’t feed the dog.” She says.
So close. I could taste it.
Other people’s close calls:
- Stillness Speaks | Vintage Photography
- A stroll through London Bridge | AS I PLEASE
- Zeke Found His Style (short fiction) | The Jittery Goat
- Close | Momma Said There’d Be Days Like This
- But No Cigar | Geek Ergo Sum
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | Under the Monkey Tree
- DP Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | Sabethville
- Interrupted | La Gatita Oscura
- Sayang* | aportraitingrayscale
- A Close Call on the Way to Yellowstone | Exploratorius | Photo Hack & Curious Wanderer
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | Awl and Scribe
- Sometimes A Loss is a Win | THE OVERCOMING
- Daily Promt: Things happen for a reason. The Duchess of Malfi was worth the change. | Susan Jane Bradfield
- ‘Heneghan’ hope… | alienorajt
- Cannibal | Shadows Of The Divine
- Nearly there | A mom’s blog
- But No Cigar | The Nameless One
- The Close | L5GN
- Close Protection at La Bonne Mère | Travel with Intent
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | Thoughts of an INFP
- The Journey 1 Seahenge | andyarticles
- How To Fold A Tote Bag (Project)
- But No Cigar |
- Why did nobody take up the Mantle? | A Teacher’s Blog
- On the lighter side of close | Unlocking The Inner Creative
- Close, But No Cigar | aMUSEing THINGS
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | Basically Beyond Basic
- No Banana! | Saying Everything
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice
- The Best Laid Plans and All That Rot | My Author-itis
- Just a Man and his Cigar | field of thorns
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- We’re Just A Chapter. | Chasing The Bubble
- A House for Me | Flowers and Breezes
- Positive Energy | Broken Light: A Photography Collective
- “Quiniela” | Life is great
- Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar | I really just pretend to know stuff
- Give my heart a break! | Le Journal D’Une Cheval Noire
- Photo Editing Challenge: Week 11- Trees and/or Tree Trunks | Hope* the happy hugger
- Processing the life
- No Cigar or Applause | Lisa’s Kansa Muse
- No Rose Garden/Daily Prompt “No Cigar” | I’m a Writer, Yes I Am
- Closed | Dreams to Reality !
- Daily Prompt: Close and then Closer | Daily Prompt & Blogging Progress
- Close but No . . . Well, You Know! | meanderedwanderings
- Life plays its notes ………… | Rahul Kumar
- Dear Fellow WordPresser | Chunky Brain
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar |
- Where’s My Damn Cigar? | Cheri Speak
- Close | Photography Journal Blog
- Nice Try Buddy — But No Cigar | Oh Danny Boy!
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | The Wandering Poet
- Weekly Writing Challenge + Daily Prompt: Singular Sensation, But No Cigar | A Hedonistic Wander
- Daily Post: But No Cigar! | Spiritual Crossroads
- Daily Post: Close | Tessa Sheppard
- Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | Incidents of a Dysfunctional Spraffer
- Not even close… Daily Prompt: But No Cigar | “The Ish,” presented by the Bohemian Rock Star